Crafting A Thesis Statement For A Cause And Effect Essay: 10 Basic Tips
Not sure how to write the thesis statement for your cause and effect essay? It is really important to make it make sense and be understandable so here are a few great guidelines to follow when crafting a thoughtful and relevant statement for your paper.
- First of all, the focus of your cause and effect paper’s main statement should be centered on either a cause or an effect- generally not both. You will need to pick one and base your statement, and in turn your paper on that one point. If you choose a cause, you should talk about the effect and vice versa but the highlight of your paper should be specifically about one or the other.
- A cause and effect paper is arguing that one thing caused another thing or vice versa, so make sure to state this.
- It should include a brief explanation or opinion about the cause or effect that you chose to highlight in your paper.
- To decide on the focus of the statement, start by brainstorming and writing down a few different options for topic statements that focus on the cause or effect you chose.
- Make your statement efficient and effective. It should be short and specific, not wordy and long winded.
- The statement should only be about one idea. That cause or effect you chose as your focus should be the only idea talked about and highlighted in your statement.
- Take a side and express a strong point on one side of an issue. This will make for a very strong and intriguing paper.
- Once you have a good sample statement, or a few, write out sample arguments to back up those statements. This will help you see if there is enough substance to make a strong argument and an interesting paper.
- Consider your audience and read your main argument thinking about the different points of views that may be represented. Think about the objections they may make and incorporate responses to that into your paper.
- Once you have a solid draft, give it to other people to look at and proof read it for flaws and mistakes.
After going through and carefully following all of these guidelines, you will certainly have a solid thesis statement to make your essay high quality and well written.